A Wide Area Network (WAN) connects users to their applications anytime, from anywhere, from any device. With today’s emphasis on cloud computing, however, the old router centric models no longer provide the type of high-performing, predictable service your business requires.
The Old Method
Let’s start with understanding the old way of business networking. Branch offices were traditionally connected to a data center, often in the company headquarters via a router over a private bidirectional connection, usually MPLS. This model worked without issue because most applications were hosted in enterprise data centers. Traffic was simply routed from originating sources to destinations based on TCP/IP addresses, access control list tables, and other routing protocols. In short, nearly all of the control functions were distributed across all the routers.
So what’s the problem? For starters, sending cloud traffic destined for the internet back to headquarters doesn’t make a lot of sense. Instead, what if we utilized the internet to access apps hosted on the internet? The router centric model can lead to costly delays, degraded application performance, and devour more bandwidth.
How SD-WAN Works and Capabilities
Simply put, SD-WAN is a software-defined, cloud-first platform to improve the WAN. Times have changed and so have traffic patterns with the introduction of applications moving to the cloud (Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, etc.) or SaAS service such as Salesforce, Office365, Dropbox, and more. This drive to the cloud creates a need for a more intelligent software defined model for the WAN.
Instead of routing traffic based on addresses, SD-WAN intelligently directs traffic across the network based on your business requirements. Properly configured, SD-WAN lets businesses utilize the internet as a secure, reliable form of WAN transport. It’s important to understand this is a different model from the traditional router where everything ends up combined across every device. With SD-WAN, this control function becomes centralized, so the policies that dictate how an application should be delivered to the user are defined centrally and programmed automatically across thousands of SD-WAN appliances–saving you valuable time and expense.
Why Upgrade to the Latest SD-WAN
- Control backups and redundancies Critical network outages are an emergency that can be avoided with SD-WAN. Quickly move connections to a secondary network, either fixed wireless, business broadband or 4G LTE.
- More consistent, predictable application performance: Geographic boundaries are no longer a factor and key benefits like visibility, scalability, performance, and control are enhanced.
- No bandwidth penalties: Limited bandwidth of expensive MPLS networks impedes rollout and impacts application performance. Stop burning cash with costly router centric network services and choose c2mtech to empower your business with an intelligent, cost-saving SD-WAN solution.
- Improved security across the network: Sleep better knowing your business can benefit from end-to-end encryption across the entire network. With SD-WAN, all devices and endpoints are completely authenticated thanks to a scalable key-exchange functionality and software-defined security.
- Improved business productivity: Adding locations, adding applications, changing policies, and other crucial tasks become much easier and faster than the old router centric model.
- Enhanced end-user experience: Backhaul causes delays and impairs application performance resulting in a poor user experience and productivity loss. Unlike the traditional router-centric WAN architecture, the SD-WAN model supports applications hosted in on-premise data centers, public or private clouds and SaaS solutions.
- Flexible access options: Your business can upgrade easily by adding new links, with no changes necessary to the infrastructure or network. One and done!
- Lower costs: Reduce expenses by leveraging lower WAN transport and infrastructure costs and improving operational efficiencies. Your business can also utilize less expensive broadband or 4G LTE instead of costly MPLS for lower-priority traffic.
SD-WAN Managed Services
Your business may be considering a “Do It Yourself” approach to implementing a SD-WAN solution. While this method works for some, it requires detailed planning, designing, implementing and managing of all components of the solution.
First consider everything a SD-WAN solution encompasses. Evaluating and implementing a SD-WAN takes significant time and increases the amount of resources necessary to complete a successful implementation. Does your in-house IT team have the skills and experience required to manage the lifecycle of the solution and if so, is this the most valuable use of your company resources? Can your team handle support issues or other ongoing maintenance requirements?
As described in the 2018 Guide to WAN Architecture and Design, more than half of all network organizations prefer a managed services solution versus doing it themselves. Instead of wasting valuable time and resources, let our experienced Dallas SD-WAN managed services team provide your business with a powerful turnkey solution.
As Your SD-WAN Managed Services Partner we:
- Learn and understand your specific needs in order to recommend and build the ideal solution for your business.
- Extensively train and are certified to install multiple brands so the best solution is the one that’s right for your business.
- Make your business our priority by offering around the clock customer service support and rapid escalation handling.
- Quickly empower your business to hit the ground running with a software defined network that’s scalable, secure, and cost effective.